Sunday, February 6, 2011

reality bites.

i have my days when i wonder what it is that i'm doing here. i came out here with a dream to work for TOMS shoes. if you've been living under a rock for the past 3 years and have no idea what TOMS is, i suggest you go here...www.toms.com . this company = amazing. hence why i want to work for them so bad.

i was so gung-ho when i got here. I just knew that the fourth time applying was going to be a charm; but it wasn't. they didn't give me the internship and i am, to say the least, disappointed. my biggest fear after they said no and i got my retail jobs was that i would get "comfortable" and forget why i came here. today, i realized my fear has become reality. 

as i fluffed pillows at pottery barn, a customer walked in wearing the TOMS wedges. i stopped for a second. i hadn't really thought about TOMS in a while but for some reason seeing the shoes jolted me back into reality. i feel like i've been sleepwalking the past few weeks, working endless hours at a mall. i literally don't leave my bubble in the valley and i don't do anything but work, eat and sleep. i am a routine person, but even this is crazy for me. i have entered into a comfort zone and that my friends, scares me more than anything. i came out here to live everyday as an adventure, to never know what the day brings, to have some spice and some variety; and here i am working two retail jobs and spending 6 days a week inside of a shopping mall. i can't remember the last time i did anything pro-active towards my TOMS dream. so today i decided that i will bust out of my bubble and remember why it is that i am out here. yes, i need the money and i know that i should be thankful i even have A job, much less 2 during this stressful economy but i can't let it take over my life. so.. with all of you as my accountability partners, i do promise to do something WEEKLY to further pursue my dream of working for TOMS. Now, can you do the same thing with your dreams? Please.

i leave you with my favorite quote.


"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment