Friday, January 28, 2011

Climate Control.

Yea, there are somethings that I'm still trying to get used to. Like the fact that I can drive 15 miles and be at the beach, which is quite a luxury for this Arkansan who is used to driving 10 hours for a glimpse of the ocean. One more minor detail is the fact that it stays in a spring climate during winter. Yea, there were about two weeks around Christmas when it was in the lower 50s but ever since then it's hovered around the mid 70s to lower 80s, and let me say, it is HEAVEN!!!

My friends in Arkansas keep texting me about the cold and the snow while I'm laying out on the beach. Most LA-ers (I know this isn't the "correct" term for people living in the Los Angeles area, but this is what I call them, so deal with it! :) ) tell me that eventually I'll forget the beach is there. I seriously doubt it!! If you can't find me on a day off, chances are I'm in Santa Monica/Venice. It's one of my absolute favorite places to be.

Santa Monica at dusk will take your breath away. It's so beautiful. Every chance I get, I'll be there to catch the sunset!


I love that the weather is warm enough to lay out, but not so hot that I'm covered in sweat. Annnddd... you can rent really cool retro bikes for like $12 and ride up and down the coast, something that makes me so so happy!




My really cute orange bike that I rented. I must say it was worth every penny. :)










There are so many beaches near me that it can get overwhelming at times trying to decide which one to visit. So far I've been to Santa Monica, Venice, Malibu, and most recently my friend Sara took me to Playa Del Ray (which apparently is called "the jungle" and apparently Fergie raps about in "Rock that Body"). One thing I've noticed is that every beach is very different. Santa Monica is very touristy in parts and somewhat family oriented. Venice is chill and has a much "younger" generation vibe. Malibu was cool, but it seemed a tad "older aged." Playa Del Ray was so much more different than any of these beaches. There were literally sand dunes that separated one part of beach, which was volleyball nets, from the ocean. Once me and Sara crossed the "dunes of death" as we called them, the ocean was filled with gorgeous sail boats. Now, anyone who has had a conversation with me in the past year probably knows I've become a tad obsessed with going sailing. After going to the midnight premier of Charlie St. Cloud, my sole mission in life became getting on a sail boat. I tried several times in good Ole' Arkansas to fulfill my sailing dream but never succeeded and, I had somewhat forgotten about the operation. But, as soon as my eyes saw the boats, the assignment became clear again: GO SAILING!

Tell me that is not BEAUTIFUL!!

So.. that got me to thinking, there are so many things I've been wanting to do, but haven't gotten around to. So, I've made a list of all the things I want to do now that I live in a totally different climate/region. Hopefully I can fulfill this list and write about the adventures I have while completing it! Also note that the list is not final! I'm sure I'll be adding a TON more things to the list! And.. let me know if you think of something you think I should do! :)

1. Go sailing
2. Learn to surf
3. Go to all of the beaches within a 30 mile radius
4. Play beach volleyball
5. Go skiing **
6. Go snowboarding **

** Let me explain these last two. One thing that also completely blows my mind is that I can drive less than and hour and be atop a snow covered mountain. Hence these two being "snow" activities.


Until next time.. enjoy the weather.. where ever it is that you may be! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment